Frank Lloyd Wright's
Martin House Complext
Martin House Complex Timeline
Signup to receive The Martin House eNewsletter



Also receive Lecture &
Event Notifications
Purchase Tickets

1865

Darwin D. Martin was born in Bouckville, NY.

1867

Frank Lloyd Wright was born in Richland Center, WI.

1879

Martin moved to Buffalo at the age of 13 and worked for the Larkin Soap Company.

1901

Wright published the Prairie House concept in "A Home in a Prairie Town," Ladies' Home Journal, February 1901.

1902

Wright visited Buffalo at the request of Martin to discuss commissions for the Barton, Martin and Heath houses, and the Larkin Administration Building. Martin acquired the Jewett Avenue property for the future Wright complex in December.

1903

Building of the complex began with the Barton House.

1904-05

Construction of the main Martin House, pergola, conservatory and carriage house.

1904-06

The Larkin Administration Building, Wright's first major commercial commission, was constructed in Buffalo (demolished in 1949-50).

1907

The last craftsmen left the Martin House and Wright declared the project complete, making 1907 the "year of significance" for current restoration efforts.

1909

The gardener's cottage was built, adding a sixth and final structure to the Martin complex.

1925

Martin retired from the Larkin Company after forty-seven years.

1926-29

Graycliff, the Martins' summer home designed by Wright, was constructed in Derby, NY, on the shore of Lake Erie.

1935

Darwin D. Martin died at the Martin House.

1937

The remaining Martin family (Isabelle, Dorothy and Darwin R. Martin) abandoned the Jewett Parkway property.

1937-54

The Martin House Complex lay vacant; it had reverted to the City of Buffalo for back taxes in 1946.

1954

Architect Sebastian J. Tauriello purchased the Martin House.

1959

Frank Lloyd Wright died in Scottsdale, AZ.

1962

The Martin House pergola, conservatory and carriage house were demolished.

1967

The Martin House was purchased by the State University of New York at Buffalo, for use as its president's residence.

Eric and Eleanor Larrabee purchased the Barton House.

1975

Martin House placed on National Register of Historic Places.

1986

Martin House listed as a National Historic Landmark.

1989

Late U.S. Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D-NY) championed the restoration of the Martin House and proclaimed it a national treasure.

1992

The Martin House Restoration Corporation (MHRC) was formed.

1994

The Barton House was purchased from Eleanor Larrabee for the MHRC by M&T Bank, Rich Products Corporation., and the Buffalo News.

1997

Hamilton Houston Lownie Architects was selected as restoration architects.

Phase I of Martin House restoration (roof and gutter restoration) was implemented.

2002

Title to the Martin House was transferred by the State University of New York at Buffalo to the MHRC.

An architectural competition for the Martin House visitor center was held. Toshiko Mori Architect was selected to design the new building adjacent to the historic site.

2003-04

Phase II of Martin House restoration (foundation waterproofing, water and sewer system upgrades and veranda slab reconstruction) took place.

2004-07

Phase III of Martin House restoration (reconstruction of the once-demolished pergola, conservatory and carriage house) executed.

2006

The gardener's cottage (renovated and expanded in 1991) was acquired by the MHRC with funding from Stanford and Judith Lipsey.

2007-08

Phase IV of restoration (restoration of masonry on the exterior of the Martin House, including relocation of walls to their 1907 position) conducted.

2009

The Eleanor and Wilson Greatbatch Pavilion opens. (Martin House visitor center designed by Toshiko Mori.)

2010-14

Phase V of the Martin House interior restoration is under way.
Frank Lloyd Wright's Martin House Complex
Toll Free (877) 377-3858Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
© 2014, Martin House Restoration Corporation. All rights reserved.
Site by Food Service Enablers.

Get Directions Find us on Facebook